Have you ever wondered about how the five elements – Metal, Wood, Water, Fire, and Earth – can influence your life? These elements are fundamental in the natural world and play a significant role in various aspects of our lives, such as determining the direction of our homes, the positioning of our beds, the layout of our kitchens, the selection of our clothing colors, and even the choice of our feng shui items and plants. By understanding which element you belong to, you can discover your compatibility with different aspects of life, harness your strengths, and even ward off misfortune.
In the realm of Chinese philosophy, the five elements – Metal, Wood, Water, Fire, and Earth – are considered the building blocks of all things in existence. The cyclical and ever-transforming nature of these elements forms the foundation for the dynamic movement and growth of the universe and all living beings within it.
To help you grasp the concept better, let’s explore the relationships between the five elements:
The Interplay of the Five Elements
In the concept of the five elements, there exists a mutual relationship of support and interdependence. This can be categorized into two aspects: the element that gives birth to another element and the element that is generated by another element.
Here are the relationships between the five elements:
- Metal gives birth to Water: When metal is heated, it transforms into liquid form.
- Water gives birth to Wood: Water nourishes and sustains the growth of plants.
- Wood gives birth to Fire: Dry wood can be used to create fire, and fire relies on wood as fuel.
- Fire gives birth to Earth: Fire turns all things into ashes, which then form the basis for the formation of earth.
- Earth gives birth to Metal: Metal is found within the earth and is extracted from it.
Additionally, there are relationships of control or inhibition between the elements:
- Metal controls Wood: Metal can cut or shape wood.
- Wood controls Earth: The roots of plants prevent soil erosion and control the movement of earth.
- Earth controls Water: Earth can restrict or block the flow of water.
- Water controls Fire: Water extinguishes fire.
- Fire controls Metal: Fire can melt or shape metal.
Determining Your Element of Fate by Birth Year
To determine your element of fate, you can utilize your birth year in the lunar calendar. Here’s how you can calculate it:
- Add up the digits of your birth date (day, month, and year).
- Divide the sum by 9. If there is a remainder, take note of it, as it will be used for referencing in the following table.
Please note that the element of fate may differ between males and females.
For example, if you were born in 1990:
1 + 9 + 9 + 0 = 19, and 19 ÷ 9 = 2 remainder 1
- If you are male, your element of fate is Khảm.
- If you are female, your element of fate is Cấn.
Determining Your Element of Fate by Age
To determine your element of fate by age, feng shui experts consider both the Heavenly Stem (Thiên Can) and Earthly Branch (Địa Chi) of your birth year in the lunar calendar. Here’s how you can calculate it:
- Determine the Heavenly Stem (Thiên Can) based on the last digit of your birth year. Refer to the following table for the corresponding values.
- Determine the Earthly Branch (Địa Chi) by dividing the last two digits of your birth year by 12. Take note of the remainder for referencing in the next table.
- Assign the corresponding values for the Heavenly Stem (Thiên Can) and Earthly Branch (Địa Chi) as follows:
- Giáp, Ất = 1
- Bính, Đinh = 2
- Mậu, Kỷ = 3
- Canh, Tân = 4
- Nhâm, Quý = 5
- Tý, Sửu, Ngọ, Mùi = 0
- Dần, Mão, Thân, Dậu = 1
- Thìn, Tỵ, Tuất, Hợi = 2
- Sum up the values of the Heavenly Stem and Earthly Branch and convert them into the corresponding element of fate:
- Kim = 1
- Thủy = 2
- Hỏa = 3
- Thổ = 4
- Mộc = 5
If the sum of values exceeds 5, subtract 5 from the total. The resulting value represents your true element of fate.
For example, if you were born in the year 1991, which corresponds to the age of Tân Mùi:
Assigning values: Tân = 4, Mùi = 0
4 + 0 = 4, which represents the element of Thổ.
Reference Table of Elements by Birth Year (for reference)
Here is a reference table that shows the element associated with each birth year:
- 1948, 1949, 2008, 2009: Tích Lịch Hỏa (Thunderbolt Fire)
- 1950, 1951, 2010, 2011: Tùng Bách Mộc (Cypress Tree)
- 1952, 1953, 2012, 2013: Trường Lưu Thủy (Large Stream)
- 1954, 1955, 2014, 2015: Sa Trung Kim (Gold in Sand)
- 1956, 1957, 2016, 2017: Sơn Hạ Hỏa (Fire at the Foot of the Mountain)
- 1958, 1959, 2018, 2019: Bình Địa Mộc (Tree in the Plain)
- 1960, 1961, 2020, 2021: Bích Thượng Thổ (Earth on the Wall)
- 1962, 1963, 2022, 2023: Kim Bạch Kim (Gold Blended with Silver)
- 1964, 1965, 2024, 2025: Phú Đăng Hỏa (Oil Lamp Fire)
- 1966, 1967, 2026, 2027: Thiên Hà Thủy (Water in the Sky)
- 1968, 1969, 2028, 2029: Đại Dịch Thổ (Large Region of Earth)
- 1970, 1971, 2030, 2031: Thoa Xuyến Kim (Precious Gold)
- 1972, 1973, 2032, 2033: Tang Đố Mộc (Tudor Wood)
- 1974, 1975, 2034, 2035: Đại Khê Thủy (Large Stream)
- 1976, 1977, 2036, 2037: Sa Trung Thổ (Earth in Sand)
- 1978, 1979, 2038, 2039: Thiên Thượng Hỏa (Fire in the Sky)
- 1980, 1981, 2040, 2041: Thạch Lựu Mộc (Pomegranate Tree)
- 1982, 1983, 2042, 2043: Đại Hải Thủy (Ocean)
- 1984, 1985, 2044, 2045: Hải Trung Kim (Gold Under the Sea)
- 1986, 1987, 2046, 2047: Lộ Trung Hỏa (Fire in the Forge)
- 1988, 1989, 2048, 2049: Đại Lâm Mộc (Large Forest)
- 1990, 1991, 2050, 2051, 1930, 1931: Lộ Bàng Thổ (Roadside Earth)
- 1992, 1993, 2052, 2053, 1932, 1933: Kiếm Phong Kim (Golden Sword)
- 1994, 1995, 2054, 2055, 1934, 1935: Sơn Đầu Hỏa (Fire on the Mountain)
- 1996, 1997, 2056, 2057, 1936, 1937: Giản Hạ Thủy (Lower Stream)
- 1998, 1999, 2058, 2059, 1938, 1939: Thành Đầu Thổ (Earth on the City Wall)
- 2000, 2001, 2060, 2061, 1940, 1941: Bạch Lạp Kim (Silver in the Candle)
- 2002, 2003, 2062, 2063, 1942, 1943: Dương Liễu Mộc (Willow Tree)
- 2004, 2005, 2064, 2065, 1944, 1945: Tuyền Trung Thủy (Stream in the Middle)
- 2006, 2007, 2066, 2067, 1946, 1947: Ốc Thượng Thổ (Earth on the Rooftop)
The applications of the five elements and element of fate are highly significant in our lives. By implementing the simple methods we shared above, you can apply this knowledge to various situations and make informed decisions for a harmonious and prosperous life.
If you’d like to learn more about related topics, feel free to explore the following articles on Kienthucykhoa.com:
- Best Feng Shui Trees for People Born in 1993
- Selecting the Perfect Feng Shui Tree for Year of the Dog
- Lucky Feng Shui Plants: Recommended Choices Based on Element and Age
We appreciate your feedback on this article.