Understanding Undergraduate Education and Degrees
After completing a university education, graduates receive an academic title that varies depending on the country. In Vietnam, if you study natural sciences, social sciences and humanities, education, law, or economics, you will earn a Bachelor’s degree and be referred to as a Bachelor. On the other hand, those who study engineering are called engineers.
So, what is a Bachelor’s degree in English? And what are the other degrees you can pursue after university?
What is a Bachelor’s Degree in English?
In English, a Bachelor’s degree is known as Bachelor, and the degree itself is called a Bachelor’s degree. Depending on the field of study, there are specific Bachelor’s degrees, such as:
- The Bachelor of Science (B.Sc. or BSc): for natural sciences.
- The Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA): for business administration.
- The Bachelor of Commerce and Administration (BCA): for commerce and administration.
- The Bachelor of Accountancy (B.Acc. or B. Accty): for accounting.
- The Bachelor of Laws (LLB or LL.B): for law.
- The Bachelor of Public Affairs and Policy Management (BPAPM): for public affairs and policy management.
After completing your undergraduate studies, you can choose to start working or continue your academic journey. If you decide to further your education, you can explore graduate programs to earn a Master’s degree or a Doctorate’s degree.
The Different Levels of Education and Degrees in English
In English, there are undergraduate studies and postgraduate programs. To understand these terms better, let’s look at the following vocabulary:
- Undergraduate: refers to students currently pursuing their Bachelor’s degree.
- Bachelor: the degree obtained after completing undergraduate studies.
- Postgraduate: programs that follow undergraduate studies, including Master’s and Doctorate programs.
- Master: a degree awarded after completing a Master’s program.
- Doctor: a degree awarded after completing a Doctorate program.
- Degree: a formal qualification issued by a university.
- Diploma: a formal qualification issued by universities, colleges, or vocational schools.
- Certificate: a document that certifies the completion of a course or training.
Therefore, in English, there are several levels of education:
- Bachelor’s degree: equivalent to completing undergraduate studies.
- Master’s degree: a higher level of education following a Bachelor’s degree.
- Doctorate’s degree: the highest level of academic achievement.
It’s important to note the distinctions between degrees, diplomas, and certificates:
- Degree: awarded by universities.
- Diploma: awarded by universities, colleges, or vocational schools after completing shorter professional courses.
- Certificate: a document of recognition, but not equivalent to a degree or diploma.
Just like Bachelor’s degrees, depending on the field, Master’s and Doctorate’s degrees have different names in English.
Common Master’s and Doctorate’s Degrees
Here are some common Master’s and Doctorate’s degrees:
- Master of Arts (M.A.): for social sciences.
- Master of Science (M.S., MSc, or M.Si): for natural sciences.
- Master of Business Administration (MBA): for business administration.
- Master of Accountancy (MAcc, MAc, or Macy): for accounting.
- Master of Science in Project Management: for project management.
- Master of Economics: for economics.
- Master of Finance (M. Fin): for finance.
- Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.): for various fields of study.
- Doctor of Medicine (M.D.): for medical fields.
- Doctor of Laws (LLD or LL.D): for law.
- Doctor of Business Administration (DBA): for business administration.
- Postdoctoral Fellow: a research position after completing a Doctorate.
By now, you should have a clear understanding of what a Bachelor’s degree is in English, as well as the other degrees you can pursue. If you are considering furthering your education after completing your undergraduate studies, make sure to carefully research the career requirements and market trends before making a decision.
For more information, visit Kienthucykhoa.com.