What is Marketing Online?
Marketing Online, also known as Online Marketing or Internet Marketing, is a set of activities that leverage the internet to promote brands, products, or services to target audiences. It aims to reach customers through various distribution channels, allowing them to read, watch, listen, and interact online during their buying journey.
Compared to offline marketing, which uses traditional media like print ads, billboards, TV, or radio, online marketing offers many advantages. It enables individuals, businesses, and brands to reach customers quickly, without geographical limitations, and facilitate measurable marketing effectiveness. This approach, known as Performance Marketing, helps optimize costs, time, and marketing and business strategies.
Exploring Common Types of Marketing Online
To successfully implement an online marketing strategy, it is crucial to understand different types of online marketing and their benefits. Let’s take a closer look at some popular forms:
1. Content Marketing
“Content is King” is a well-known phrase emphasizing the importance of content in marketing activities, be it online or offline.
Content Marketing involves creating and distributing valuable and consistent content to attract and retain a specific group of readers. It aims to encourage beneficial actions from these individuals, such as brand awareness, trust, loyalty, and other strategic marketing goals.
Instead of bombarding customers with what businesses want to say, Content Marketing focuses on delivering what customers want to hear. It helps establish a close and trustworthy connection between businesses and customers.
Example: Suppose you own a fashion brand that offers designer clothing to postpartum working women. Content Marketing would involve sharing information about which patterns on clothing can flatter and conceal imperfections on the arms, stomach, or thighs, selecting suitable shades for darker skin tones, and recommending striped, horizontal, or floral patterns for shorter individuals. Additionally, you may share content addressing everyday issues faced by your target customers.
Content marketing works hand in hand with other online marketing forms, especially social media marketing and SEO. This article you are currently reading is an exemplary instance of content marketing offered by FPT Skillking, combining content marketing with SEO!
2. Social Media Marketing
Social Media Marketing utilizes social media platforms to market brands, products, or services to a defined target audience.
In today’s technology-driven world, platforms like Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc., are widely used, even in Vietnam. Businesses swiftly leverage these platforms to reach customers and stimulate interactions, enhancing the effectiveness of their marketing strategies.
Social Media Marketing is an excellent platform to promote valuable content to potential customers. It can be closely integrated with content marketing (as mentioned above). Social media marketing can be categorized into two groups: organic and paid:
Organic Social Media Marketing (Free)
Organic social media marketing focuses on building and improving customer relationships naturally, either through community building or leveraging existing communities. Its objectives often include brand recognition, customer trust, strategic promotions, and fruitful business operations.
- It is essential for organic social media marketing to foster interaction between customers and brands. Instead of sharing content about technical aspects of eyebrow tattooing, such as ink colors, successful customer stories, etc., you can post images of a completed eyebrow pair with a caption like “After 4 weeks.”
- This approach reduces customer resistance to advertisements while increasing interaction. As a result, customers will be more receptive to your subsequent introductions about locations, brands, or skills, making your content more accessible and engaging.
Paid Social Media Marketing
Paid social media marketing involves paying platforms like Google, Facebook, YouTube, or Instagram to prioritize displaying your ads in desired locations. Costs are often calculated based on the number of clicks (pay-per-click model). Hence, paid advertising is also known as PPC (pay-per-click).
However, different platforms implement various payment models depending on the advertiser’s marketing objectives. These models include cost per thousand impressions (CPM), cost per view (CPV), or cost per action (CPA), where users perform specific actions or conversions on ads.
3. Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
Search Engine Optimization, known as SEO, is the process of enhancing a website’s visibility on search engine result pages. Popular search engines, such as Google, Cốc Cốc, or Bling, allow users to search for information, images, addresses, videos, etc., using keywords.
SEO focuses on optimizing the website’s content, structure, and other techniques to improve rankings and display relevant results when users search for specific keywords.
The ultimate goal of SEO is to attract and increase website traffic, optimizing brand awareness and sales.
To learn more about SEO techniques, consider the following resources:
- “What is SEO service? How to effectively use this method for your business.”
- SEO Training – A Practical International Standard Course
4. Affiliate Marketing
Affiliate Marketing is an advertising model where companies pay third-party publishers to direct customers to their products, services, or generate website traffic. These third parties are considered affiliates and receive commission fees from the hired companies to incentivize them to promote their products.
This marketing model reflects the concept of online affiliate programs you may commonly encounter. When advertising products for companies that have affiliate programs, you earn commissions based on the generated sales through your website.
Amazon’s affiliate marketing program, known as Amazon Associates, allows creators, publishers, or bloggers to share information about Amazon’s products and services on their website or app. In return, they receive commissions for the sales generated through their website.
5. Email Marketing
True to its name, Email Marketing employs emails to promote, advertise, introduce products, services, brands, etc., to a target audience that the business has defined.
This form of marketing requires businesses to have a database of email addresses to carry out their email campaigns. However, it is essential to prioritize making customers feel comfortable when receiving emails rather than resorting to forced tactics to acquire email addresses. This shows that customers are willing to receive information about the products, services, and brands, thereby strengthening the connection between the brand and the customer.
Professional Email Marketing types include:
- Sale emails: Introduce products, services, or promotional campaigns to potential customers. The goal is to convert potential customers into actual customers and increase business revenue.
- Transactional emails: Confirmation emails after customers successfully complete a transaction. Examples include electronic receipts, order status confirmations, etc.
- Newsletter emails: Provide valuable and creative content, rather than just discussing products or features. Newsletter recipients are often customers who voluntarily shared their email addresses with the business.
- Welcome emails: The first email customers receive after signing up on a website or app, expressing gratitude, providing information updates, answering questions, etc.
To make emails more engaging, keep in mind the following tips:
- Create a sense of scarcity or urgency, such as limited-time offers or exclusive deals.
- Personalize the email by including the recipient’s name in the subject line or greeting.
- Allow recipients to customize their email preferences, specifying how frequently they would like to receive your emails.
6. Paid Advertising
Paid Advertising is one of the most popular forms of online marketing. It involves paying for ads to appear in desired locations on online platforms like Google, Facebook, YouTube, Instagram, etc.
The costs are often based on the number of times users click on your ads (pay-per-click model), thus earning it the name PPC (pay-per-click). However, payment models vary depending on marketing objectives. These models include cost per thousand impressions (CPM), cost per view (CPV), or cost per action (CPA), where users perform specific actions or conversions for the advertisers.
Building an Effective Marketing Online Strategy
To develop a successful Marketing Online strategy, you need to consider various factors and go through the following steps:
1. Understand the Marketing Context and Situation
- Define the organization’s business goals and overall business strategy.
- Analyze the organization’s market position, circumstances, resources, and marketing capabilities.
- Analyze macro and micro environmental factors such as the industry and competitors.
- Analyze the target market and customers.
2. Decide on the Marketing Strategy
- Study the market and evaluate different market segments to select the target market and determine the market penetration and capture strategy.
- Understand and analyze the market’s needs and behaviors to make decisions that impact the target market, such as brand positioning and marketing mix decisions.
- Maintain, protect, consolidate, and develop the brand.
3. Implement the Strategy
- Choose the appropriate tactics based on the previous analysis.
- Allocate time and resources effectively (human and financial).
- Organize the implementation, monitor, and ensure execution.
- Measure and adjust accordingly.
Marketing Online Courses at FPT Skillking
FPT Skillking is the first online marketing training system in Vietnam that offers in-depth teaching tailored to individual marketing tools and skills. Based on the FPT Education platform, in collaboration with Skillking Education in India, boasting 25 years of experience in digital marketing training, FPT Skillking is highly regarded for providing high-quality young talent for the development of this rapidly growing industry in Vietnam.
FPT Skillking commits to creating the best learning environment for marketing students. With a dynamic and well-connected setting with industry partners, FPT Skillking equips students with practical experience and real-world knowledge that not every training institution can offer. Marketing Online courses at FPT Skillking are available in Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City, featuring flexible schedules to cater to the learning needs of every aspiring digital marketer.
To learn more about Marketing Online and Digital Marketing courses at FPT Skillking, visit their official website or contact them through the following channels:
- Website: FPT Skillking
- Enrolment hotline: (028) 3526 5559 | 0908 048 759
- Training department: (028) 3993 4933
- Business cooperation department: (028) 6293 5101
FPT Skillking Digital Marketing Courses in Hanoi:
- 94 Luong Yen, Hai Ba Trung District, Hanoi
- 8 Ton That Thuyet, My Dinh 2 Ward, Nam Tu Liem District, Hanoi
FPT Skillking Digital Marketing Courses in Ho Chi Minh City:
- 275 Nguyen Van Dau, Ward 11, Binh Thanh District, Ho Chi Minh City
- 391A Nam Ky Khoi Nghia, Ward 7, District 3, Ho Chi Minh City
- 302 Nguyen Van Dau, Ward 11, Binh Thanh District, Ho Chi Minh City
Frequently Asked Questions
Should I learn Marketing Online on my own or attend a training center?
While you can easily find information, materials, and tutorials about Marketing Online on the internet and other sources, it may be challenging to self-study if you lack a solid foundation in Marketing in general and Marketing Online in particular. Training centers offer specialized programs designed to teach specific tools and skills, ensuring they provide an optimal learning environment for students.
What does the Marketing Online course at FPT Skillking cover?
The Marketing Online course at FPT Skillking is structured into four semesters, providing students with comprehensive training on specific tools and skills:
- Semester 1: Social Media
- Semester 2: Website & SEO
- Semester 3: Digital Executive
- Semester 4: Full Stack Digital Marketing
When do the Marketing Online classes start at FPT Skillking?
FPT Skillking offers monthly class schedules, allowing students to choose the most convenient time to start their Marketing Online course. Students can refer to the class information, easily accessible locations, and availability when selecting the most suitable learning center.
Who are the trainers at FPT Skillking?
At FPT Skillking, students receive training from a dedicated team of professional instructors who bring extensive experience and expertise in Digital Marketing and Marketing Online. Additionally, managers, CEOs from agencies, advertising companies, and digital marketing professionals from various industries share their knowledge, experience, and provide optimal support to students.