1. What is Thống kinh?
Thống kinh is a term used to describe the condition of experiencing abdominal pain during menstruation. However, not all menstrual cramps are considered thống kinh. Most women go through the discomfort of menstrual cramps, including abdominal and back pain, breast tenderness, and general unease. But these symptoms are usually mild and do not significantly hinder daily activities.
In contrast, thống kinh is characterized by intense pain. The pain starts from the lower abdomen, radiates to the chest and thighs, and can even cause headaches, dizziness, nausea, and vomiting. Women with thống kinh often find it difficult to function and may require pain relievers to cope with the pain.
2. What is Thống kinh nguyên phát?
Thống kinh nguyên phát refers to the condition of experiencing menstrual cramps from the onset of menstruation. It is believed to be caused by an excessive production of a fatty acid called prostaglandin in the uterus. Prostaglandin acts as a hormone that stimulates uterine and intestinal contractions. Women with thống kinh nguyên phát have higher levels of prostaglandin in the first 48 hours of menstruation compared to others.
To treat thống kinh nguyên phát, women can use pain relievers such as:
- Hormonal contraceptives containing progesterone and estrogen (commonly known as combination birth control pills) to suppress prostaglandin production. It is important to consult a doctor before using these medications.
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs like ibuprofen, naproxen, mefenamic acid, and indomethacin can also inhibit prostaglandin synthesis. However, individuals with gastrointestinal disorders should avoid using these medications. They can be taken 2-3 days before menstruation to alleviate pain.
- Other medications such as alverine, drotaverine, and spasfon can help reduce uterine contractions and alleviate menstrual pain.
- In severe cases, tranquilizers can be used, but it is essential to seek medical advice before using them.
- Herbal remedies such as vitex agnus-castus and artemisia absinthium are also known to relieve menstrual cramps.
Some believe that thống kinh nguyên phát disappears after marriage and childbirth, but this viewpoint lacks scientific evidence. Engaging in regular exercise can increase pain tolerance and reduce menstrual discomfort.
On the other hand, thống kinh thứ phát occurs after several years of normal menstrual cycles due to underlying conditions such as endometriosis, uterine fibroids, or cervical stenosis. To determine the cause of thống kinh thứ phát, it is important to consult a specialist. It is not advisable to ignore the pain associated with thống kinh thứ phát, as it can indicate potential health risks.
If you have any further questions about thống kinh, please feel free to contact the helpline at 1900 55 88 96 provided by TCI Hospital for free support.
- Causes of Delayed Menstruation
- How to Delay Menstruation for a Week
- How is Menstrual Blood Different from Miscarriage Blood
This article is brought to you by Kienthucykhoa.com. Kienthucykhoa.com